Your body is changing DAILY during pregnancy, which is why we believe in the power of PT throughout your pregnancy. Here are our top 5 reasons that we believe PT during pregnancy is vital.
1. PT can help prevent issues from occurring
- Pregnancy brings a lot of changes to every aspect of your body. And simple transitions like rolling over in bed, sit-to-stand, even putting on socks can become more challenging and painful.
- Bowel/bladder issues can occur due to changes in abdominal pressure and strain to the pelvic floor. If not addressed early on, these changes can lead to issues such as leaking, constipation, and hemorrhoids.
- We also like to check on your core throughout pregnancy and help you modify movements that could be straining your abdomen or worsening your diastasis.
2. Exercise modification/safety
– Exercise has so many mental and physical benefits during pregnancy. Sadly, we often find that our pregnant patients either totally stop exercising or continue to exercise without making any adjustments, neither of which are great options! The beauty of checking in with a PT throughout pregnancy is it allows you to exercise with assurance that you are doing it safely, as well as receive an individualized assessment and plan.
3. Treat issues that are already occurring
- Some examples of issues that commonly pop up during pregnancy include back pain, hip pain, pelvic pain, incontinence, tailbone pain, pain with intercourse, etc… and we can treat all of these! Please don’t believe the statement that “pain is just a part of pregnancy.” Pain is always a message, and most pregnancy-related pain can be treated with PT.
4. Preparation for labor & delivery
- This is a big one… you DESERVE to be prepared for labor! Toward the end of your pregnancy, we work on things to prepare your body for labor, such as position training, breathing techniques, perineal stretching, scar work from previous births, and pelvic floor relaxation (helps with contractions!).
5. Preparation for postpartum recovery
-Preparing for postpartum recovery during your pregnancy can ease your mind and prevent a lot of confusion as you head home with the baby! We recommend equipment to have on hand, and we talk through recommendations for both vaginal and cesarean recovery.
Pelvic PT during pregnancy can range from weekly appointments to check-ins every few weeks. We work with you to meet your needs, goals, and schedule. If you are interested or if you have questions, contact us and let’s talk!
Email | firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone | 901.244.3800
*We also offer telehealth and virtual services!